Monday, February 1, 2010

First DIY Project = Success!

When it came to save the dates, I knew right away that I wanted magnets. I had seen a couple people do this and loved the idea. Simple and cute, and then people can put them on their fridge so that they really do "save the date" and don't forget about it! They can also use them to hang up the invite with. Perfect! I started to look around on the internet. There were a lot of places that can make STD magnets for you, but I didn't really want to spend that much money since we are on a budget. I started to think about a way that I could do it myself, and searched different office supply stores for ideas. I found out that Office Max had business card sized magents that would work perfect. Since my mom is a graphic designer for a local newspaper, I asked her if she could come up with a business card sized design to use. This is what she made:

 

I loved it! It would work perfect for our save the dates. Off to our local Office Max I went and bought my supplies.


I found these envelopes while I was wandering around and figured they would be perfect. Great size and shape, and they are self sticking, so no licking!


I wanted to use a silver pen to write the addresses out, but after a quick call to my mailman dad (he said it was too light to be able to read), I went with purple.


I couldn't wait to get started with my first project, but BM H wanted to help, so I had to settle with just addressing envelopes the first night. This is were I ran into my first problem though. I don't have addresses. If I ever need to send someone a message, I turn to email or a text. I called my mom, asked her to look in her address book, and same thing. She doesn't have any addresses either! Great. So now I am sending out emails to everyone trying to get their addresses. I've recruited my sister, BM D, to help. She actually talks about this little problem of mine here.

Since I couldn't write out the sending addresses, I worked on getting all the return addresses written in. That took forever and caused some major cramping in the hand! When I was finished, I put all my stuff in a bag to take out to BM H's house the next day, and iced my hand.

The next morning I woke up early, got a coffee and headed out. Lucky for me BM H was just getting out of bed when I showed up! We got to work right away. I applied the business card to the magnet


And she used a rolling pin to press them down really well


Then trimmed any edges that weren't perfect (because, yes, I did get a little off!)


That was all it took! We were done!


It only took us about an hour to make all 100. It was really fun and I think a great first DIY project. Since it was such a success, I'm excited to get started on my next project. Hopefully it goes as well as this one did!

What was your first DIY project? Was it a success or fail?

*all pictures taken by me!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THESE!!!!!! They are PERFECT!!!! Good job, Rosie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you Miss DIY!!! I LOVE them... Total success!!!

    ReplyDelete