Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bring On The Food!

MS and I went for our menu tasting today. One word: WOW. We thought we had an idea of what we were going to serve. Since we are hosting a "fork buffet", we wanted to try and get a little mix of everything. Originally we chose:

  • Bow tie pasta salad with basil pesto, fresh Roma tomatoes, cured olives and pancetta crumbles
  • Seared salmon cakes with lemon-caper aioli
  • Grilled seasonal vegetable platter with balsamic dressing
  • Seasonal fruit tray
  • Choosing 2 of 3: Marinated beef skewers, Cured Italian meats wrapped in puff pastry with olive tapenade, or beef carpaccio with white truffle oil an sea salt on crostini
We tried the 3 meats listed last today. Words can't even describe how amazing they all were. I had taken my camera hoping to get some good shots, but was so overwhelmed by the food in front of me that I didn't take a single picture! (sorry, you are just going to have to try to imagine what it all looked like!) I was really skeptical at first of the marinated beef skewers. They looked almost like they were cooked REALLY well, and that they might have more of a jerky texture. I couldn't have been more wrong! The chef marinated them in some amazing teriyaki stuff, and they were so tender and moist, they just fell apart in your mouth. They were MS's favorite. My favorite was the cured Italian meats in the pastry (anything with the word pastry is normally a winner for me). They were these little roll things with different meats and an amazing cream cheese spread. I think everyone got one, and I got 10 of those little buggers. Awesome. The beef carpaccio was also really good, but it wasn't our favorite. And the "crostini" is a hard cracker thing, kinda hurt my mouth actually.

So, after tasting those items and sitting and talking to the owners of our venue, we were able to finally finalize a menu. We went with something a little different than what we originally thought, but we are so excited for it:

  • Mixed green salad
  • (I can't remember the name) Pasta with prawns and some cheese/garlic sauce
  • Mediterranean platter (has meat, cheese, crackers, veggies, and hummus!)
  • Marinated beef skewers
  • Cured Italian meats wrapped in puff pastry with olive tapenade
  • Italian herbed chicken satay with lemon vinaigrette
I cannot wait until we get to eat at our wedding! Thank God my dress is a corset back so I can loosen it as I eat, because after our tasting today, I know I am going to have to!

What are you serving for food at your wedding? Did you decide on what you originally thought or something different?

3 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Everything sounds so good!!!
    We are having Italian food at our wedding. We're big pasta eaters so we're all over that!! I don't think I ever pictured it to be anything other than pasta ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! Sounds good!!! Too bad our dresses aren't as forgiving! Bring on the Spanx! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie: I love pasta too! I am so excited about our seafood pasta salad. 2 best food groups in one!

    Dee: Haha! I'll still probably need some Spanx after the food!

    ReplyDelete