Thursday, January 28, 2010

To Look or Not To Look?

While our "situation" is not what you would call "old fashioned" (ie. I have a son already, we live together, we are building our house before getting married, etc), we are still a little old fashioned concerning the wedding. One example, I am wearing a "white" dress (it looks white, until you put it right up next to something white, then it looks more creamy-ivory, but still its "white"!).

So when it came to when MS was going to see me for the first time on our wedding day in my dress, we both initially thought, not until I come walking down the aisle. I have read a lot about first looks though, and was starting to wonder if maybe we should too. One of the awesome girls over on Wedding Bee explained why they did a first look, and it makes a lot of sense.

1. I don't even remember my walk down the aisle. It went by so fast, and I'm glad that during the first look, I was able to stop, pause and really look at my husband's face when he saw me. Because I don't remember what he looked like during the aisle walk!

2. The first look is more intimate, and like I said above, you take your time. Our photog gave us five minutes after the first look to go off by ourselves without being photographed to chat and take-in the moment.

3. You get more pictures without sacrificing time. AND you can probably attend your cocktail hour because that's usually when couples go off to do their portraits. Being at cocktail hour was great. We had more time with our guests, and during our portraits before the ceremony, we didn't feel at all rushed.

4. It really takes the pressure off. Our DOC told me horror stories about brides who just made themselves so sick with nervousness before walking down the aisle because they wanted to look perfect. Some felt like they were going to pass out, and others started to cry. It's very emotional because it's also in front of everyone, but with a first look, there isn't as much pressure. Or, if there is, you get it done beforehand, and you can relax a little before the aisle walk.



So, with all these great points I started to think that maybe a first look was a good idea. But, call me old fashioned ( ;) ), I think I'm going to stick to our decision of no first look. The reason why?

1. I'm the girl in the audience that when the bride starts to walk down the aisle, I look at the groom. I want to see MS's reaction to me when he sees me coming down the aisle for the first time.

2. I'm not a superstitous person, but I feel like it will "jinx" us if we see each other before then!

3. MS didn't want to see me until then. I'm sure I could convince him to do a first look if I tried hard enough, but I don't want to. This was a decision we made already, and something he really wants (he hasn't even seen my dress), so I'm going to stick to it.

4. And last, I'm really excited about the surprise factor of seeing me at that moment for the first time!

What did you do? What are your thoughts on a first look? No one is going to change my mind, but I'm curious! :)

2 comments:

  1. We had this debate as well! It is so hard but we ultimately decided to have a first look because I have such bad anxiety and I think seeing him will calm me down. I also read the reasonings on the 'Bee and I do really like those reasons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you say no one is going to change your mind, but you are curious! You are too funny! I think it is nice that you are sticking to this tradition... not many people do it and it will be something you will always remember!

    ReplyDelete