Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Choosing A Date

Since not many people know why we chose September 18th to get married, I have decided to let you in on the secret: its cheap! :)



When looking for a venue, price was a big deciding factor. We had seen BruMar Estates and fell in love. Unfortunately the price was high during our regulary desired time to get married, the summer. So, we looked at the other dates that were less expensive (half the price to be exact). October. Ok, that will work. We wanted a more summer, outside, nice weather wedding, so to get closest to that we choose the first weekend in October. Off to BruMar we went with a date set in mind.

We walked around, talked a bit, told them we wanted to get married there, and threw out our date. Taken. The following weekend? Same story. I started to panick! We wouldn't be able to get married there, at that price, until November. Our dreams of an outside wedding slowly fell away.

Maybe it was the look on my face, or the tone of my voice when I said that it was OK, but I'm pretty sure the owners knew I was sad. Lucky for us, they are amazingly nice and helpful people! So, they asked if we would want the last weekend in September that they had available. Well, we had to be honest and tell them the reason we wanted October over the summer months, we couldn't afford it. Then they offered: How about the last weekend in September at the October price? YES! I didn't even care what the date was, just as long as we got it at the desired rate. But, the date is important to know, so we looked and it was September 18.

Perfect. Perfect because it is the middle of September, so we can still do our outside wedding. Perfect because we are getting it at the less price. Perfect because my wonderful parents will be celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary the day after we say "I do".

I don't think we could have picked a better date on our own. I am so happy how everything worked out and that our special day is so closely shared with my parents. There is one thing I am worried about though.

Every year (except on major anniversaries such as 20, 25, etc), my father goes bow hunting over September 19th. He was never a bow hunter when he got married, but a few years later he picked it up. MS has already started talking about learning to bow hunt. So my fear? That my mother and I will be anniversary widows every year together! Hey, at least we could celebrate with each other right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment