Sunday, January 24, 2010

Armed and Ready

MS and I went on our first registry trip tonight. Registering really can be fun, if you are prepared for what your are getting yourself into. MS and I just decided to go tonight, without actually realizing what we were getting into. How complicated could it be? Go to the store, get a registry gun thing, pick some stuff out and be done. Well, it doesn't quite go that way!




There are a few things you should know before you head off to register.
  • First, make sure you have eaten plenty so you don't get hungry, and have recently gone to the bathroom (as MS had to go 2 times while we were there (me only once!)). 
  • Wear comfy shoes and bring bandaids
  • Have a plan. Maybe make a list of needs and wants, and yours and his.
  • Allot plenty of time (like hours). Despite how fast you think you can do it, you can't.
  • When you think you are all prepped and ready, head to your first store!
 Let me explain to you how I came to put this list together. As I said, MS and I just decided to run up to Bed, Bath, And Beyond tonight to register real quick. And it did start out good.

We got there, got someone to come help us in the special "registry" office, filled out a paper on our info, and was given a couple books to look through while he entered it into the computer. The books he gave us were fine China, silverware (or whatever fancy word it was that they used), and wine glasses and such. So, we picked some. When MS and I are going to use fine China, I have no idea, especially with a 2-year-old running around. And wine glasses? We don't even like wine. Maybe someday these things will come in handy, but I have NO idea when.

So, he handed us the gun, showed us how to point and click, and sent us on our way. He did actually offer to help us and walk with us, but we declined. How hard could it be?

The first few things were reasonable. A spice rack, much needed since the only spice in our cupboard is Johnny's Seasoning Salt and some garlic. Next, a set of mixing spoons and bowls. Right by the spoons and bowls was an ice-cream scoop. Much needed right? Along with the potato peeler, meat tenderizer, meat thermometer, potato smoosher thing, and something else in a really pretty blue. Ok, these things probably are needed (even though we already have them, but we can always upgrade right?), but we started to get out of control.

We scanned everything from a shish kabob holder to a kitchen soap dispenser to coasters for our coffee table that we don't own. I even had a potty training chair in my hand (little guy needs something too right?!), but decided against it (I'm just gonna go buy it myself!). MS was really seriously staring hard at a liquor dispenser (holds like 5 bottles and pours the perfect shot with one flick of a switch), even made me walk by it a few times, but I made him move on (wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression). We continued through the store marking everything we past. Clocks, water fountains, turkey baster (I don't even know how to use one), sandwich containers, pillows, magnifying mirrors... I lost him somewhere between the curtains and garbage cans.

Next stop, towels. Keep me away from this section. Especially when we are going to be having 2 bathrooms in our new home, so I get to decorate another one. I think total I registered for about 20 bath towels, and that was just for the 1 bathroom. I didn't even get started on the other one.

About half an hour later, I surface from the towel section. MS was snoring in the massaging chair (you bet that made the list), and the store was closing (great hint when ALL the workers are standing at the front checkout staring at you). Even though I could have continued, I woke MS and we made our way to the front.

"Get everything you were looking for?" No. I would like to continue, so go ahead and lock me in here. "Yes, we did, thank you. We can update anytime right?" "Of course!" (looks at watch). We took the hint and left.

My stomach was growling, both of our feet were sore (although MS's back was feeling pretty good), and I had a blister on my finger from pulling the trigger. We had to stop on the way home and get some asprin, which MS didn't hesitate to take. Our shoes didn't even get off before we collapsed on the couch. Sheer exhuastion. But, the nice man did give us a little booklet of items that are good for your registry. So after a breather, I started flipping through that handy book.

What did I find? TONS of stuff that we just have to go back and register for. "Later" MS told me sternly and rolled over. (Don't worry, I dog-eared the pages so I can make sure we get them next time!)

How did your first registry go? Where you prepared for it? How many times did you have to go?

1 comment:

  1. First, LOVE the new look of your blog, Rosie! Second, you sound like every friend I have ever had that has registered! I love the list you put together for "registry preparation!" I think it's something everyone needs!

    ReplyDelete