Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dec-No

I was so happy and excited about using Deco Beads in our centerpieces. I even got a mason jar out, put those nifty little dots in there, poured some water and waited. Just like magic they puffed up! So, I thought I would test them out and see just how long a flower would last in there (after all, if I'm spending 100's of dollars on flowers, they better last for a couple days!). I put one flower in the middle of the beads

(Personal pic)

I loved it! I was so excited and happy and couldn't wait to get home and show MS. He thought they were really cool too, and even though he saw potential problems with Dad MS playing with them, we decided we could work past that. So we set the jar on the counter to proudly display.

Later that day though, my flower was looking limp, and a little wilted. I put some more water in the bottom of the jar so the flower would have something to drink and went to bed. MS woke me up the next morning to help him clean up beads. The bottom bead absorbed the extra water and got bigger and they started to overflow the jar! So adding water doesn't work, FYI. That night, I came home to this:

(Personal pic too)

Yep, that is my poor little flower, dead after a day. Needless to say, I will not be using the Deco Beads in our centerpieces! I can't have all our wedding flowers dying before the reception!!! I think instead, we will just use some of those flat glass beads and fill the bottom with water.


Have any of your great wedding ideas wilted away?!

2 comments:

  1. What a bummer! You definitely don't want wilted flowers at your reception! But, the mason jars rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think that gives the right feeling, dead flowers at a wedding! I think the beads will look just as good though, and no worries that dad MS will play with them as much! ;)

    ReplyDelete